Skip to main content

More Days Like This for 2009


beach toes
Originally uploaded by Funky Art Queen
Resolving to Make My Resolutions:
I'm really struggling wtih coming up with a plan for the new year. I know I want all the usual things ie; healthier living, being kinder, taking more time with family, being a better housekeeper, employee,sister,daughter,mother,wife, fellow blogger, and friend (taking a moment for a breath) and not to mention.....ARTIST! It can be overwhelming at times can't it? How can I improve in all areas at once? That is where I mess up.....thinking such thoughts.

So, some how, I will have to get my mind in a relaxed state and be quiet for a while until clarity comes. Maybe I should take up meditation? Hee-hee, people that know me well will think that is funny.

Seriously though, I do think that more times like the beach scene here are important. So that is my number one resolution.

I also want to expand my horizons. I have begun the process of developing a creative instructional book. I'm keeping the subject matter private for now. Any help on that topic of getting such a book published (not self publishing)is appreciated.

I also want to take some classes in the art/creative world.

I want to help my daughter more with her art too. She has turned out to be quite the little artist. I don't like her subject matter so much as it is darker and scary stuff....but she understands that. I love her talent though. It is kind of a yin/yang thing at our house. Ha!

Oh, and I really, really, really want to go somewhere with a beautiful beach with my husband in the summer. This September will be our 25th anniversary and that will be our celebration.

Then, I want my husband and I to focus more on our retirement plans ie; saving, planning, and dreaming.

Happy New Year to all of my friends and family in blogger world. 2009!!!

Comments

Carmen said…
Happy New Year! Wishing you the best for 2009 and beyond!


Namasté,

Carmen
Lesley,
I just read your article in Paper,cloth,scissors...great job.
Susan said…
Happy New Year! Susan
Kim Mailhot said…
Happy New Year Lesley !!!!

I know what ever you resolve to change/add/delete into your world, it will be done with love and care and amazing creativity !

May 2009 bring you many memory making moments and sweet peaceful love !
Cheers !
Artmom said…
Happy New Year fellow west Texan!!
Almost 31 years here, celebrate those milestones!! They are the gifts from heaven!
(And I too have an amazingly talented daughter, but mine is reluctant to pursue her gift. She is only 21, so maybe someday!)
Bless you and yours in this bright shiney New Year! Deb W
studioGypsy said…
oh fun beach shot! ;) really love it! and happy happy new year to yous! ;) xo
Happy new year Lesley! I KNOW I want to see more of your art in bookstores! Bring it!

Hope all your dreams & wishes for 09 come true!
FAQ said…
Sabi Wabi complimented me cuz she thought the article with Lesley Riley in CPS was mine. Thanks any way sabii
Anonymous said…
Great resolutions! I'm with you on the beach one! I also want to spend more time pursuing artistic endeavors. I can't draw or paint to save my life, but I continually surprise myself with other forms of creativity that I am actually good at! This year is going to be about developing those!

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Flowers and Fabric Flowers

Well, I'm kind of in a creative funk again. I hate it when this happens! I'm so glad that next weekend I am going to Fredricksberg, TX again to the trade days. I know it will inspire me in all kinds of directions. Meanwhile, while I am trying to get my groove back........I have been making a lot of little short term projects in the paper department. I made this little posey pin from faux vintage post/letters etc papers from the scrapbooking department. I actually wore it yesterday on my jacket. Then I spotted this book on Fabric Flowers by Elizabeth Helene Searle at the fabric store and I had to get it. I used her instructions to make this first fabric flower. I want to try several of her other flowers instructions. Now, what will I do with them? Who knows? Does it really matter if I am enjoying myself? Probably everyone will get fabric or paper flowers for Christmas! Heehee Have a great day.

Melon Burst Pantone Quilt Challenge 2023

I entered my first quilt challenge this year! I was inspired by a friend of mine that had entered this challenge so I decided I would give it a try. The challenge is called Pantone Quilt Challenge 2023 and you can check out all the yummy shades of magenta at #pantonequiltchallenge2023 on Instagram. This challenge is hosted by  Sarah Ruiz of https://saroy.net/ and Elizabeth Ray of https://www.instagram.com/elizabethkray/?hl=en When I learned about the challenge, I headed over to Missouri Star Quilt Company online and purchased the Kona Crush for this piece. I was not sure what I wanted to pair it with for several days until I finally decided on several tones of greens.  So I started out with these pieces. I had always wanted to see how to make the flying geese in a curve. I managed to figure out a way by using wedged pieces in between each "goose"? I have since learned that there is another way by using Foundation Paper Piecing. All the things we learn with each quilt, right

Funky and Proud

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all who responded to the last post. You are all so smart and insightful. I think after much thought and several good conversations with my friends, I feel better about this whole idea. My conclusion, I do many different things that fall under the "mixed media" category...even the jewelry. I have this never ending curiosity and desire to learn new techniques. Whatever I am working on at the moment is satisfying my creative cravings...if not, I don't do it. If I don't enjoy something....I don't do it. It is that simple. The "Funky Art Queen" thing? It occured to me that the people that would be put off by my d.b.a. would be those that most likely would not be drawn to my art in the first place. Thanks again. I just love every one of you. Next blog......not all about me I promise. HUGS