Sometimes, as part of my own creative self-exploration.....I try to figure out "my style" of art. Or, I try to figure out what it is I want to say with my art. Who am I? What am I passionate about? What is it I am trying to communicate through my art? So.....tapping my foot....I think very hard..... I say to myself, "self, what are you all about?"
In my mind I start listing what turns me on creatively....not particularly in this order:
- Color and more color-bright-high saturation-orange-reds,lime greens, golden yellow-bright and cheery reds, lovely cobalt blues (high color-no pastels for me)
- Geometric lines and shapes and simple drawings always catch my eye
- Texture-I love to look at art that has texture and layers of interest.
- Ideas of a Whimsical nature- animals, funny things, play.....
- Femininity-I love how God made the female body so very beautiful and the female mind and soul so complex.
- Food-I love to eat good food. Though I can easily turn down the desert menu, I find it very hard to eat on the "light menu". Love Italian and Mexican foods. Bread, bread, bread, bring it on!!!
- Wine! Oh how I love Chardonnay, maybe too much. I love wine. I don't like red or pink or anything other than Chardonnay.
- Family Fun-I love being with my family and the older I get the more I appreciate my precious family.
- Friends-Girlfriend time in particular is very important to me now. Even today I look forward to a limousine ride with 9 0ther girlfriends to view Christmas lights Thursday night. Wine will be involved. Yay! Bling will be involved. Yay!
- Pet-my puppy, I have never been a real dog person until Sebastian came into my life. Now, I can't imagine my life without him.
So, doing exercises like this are important to help you figure out who you are. In doing this. I can think about themes and ideas for my future art. If you look at your art from the past, you will be able to see themes. I think that when we start trying to be authentic and communicate our true selves through our art.....our art will shine.....I'm just sayin'......