Skip to main content

Altered Art Mirror Mermaid



I was thinking of this technique my mother used to do with mirrors and I just had to try something with it. I emailed her to ask how it was done and she explained the process to me. You use steel wool to sand off the back of the mirror so that the glass shows through. You only do this in the section you want to see through. Then, you place a picture on the back of the mirror. You can really do some ghostly like altered mirrors -maybe something with an old vintage picture. That is what I had in mind but for some reason, I had to do a mermaid first.

Comments

Becky said…
Your mirror is really cool!
Stacey said…
Oh my goodness, I REMEBER doing that with steel wool in 4H class! Have to say your art is much 'cooler' that what we did, lol.

My friend has been telling me about altered art, I'm just now learning of this concept. I need to show her your stuff! xo

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Flowers and Fabric Flowers

Well, I'm kind of in a creative funk again. I hate it when this happens! I'm so glad that next weekend I am going to Fredricksberg, TX again to the trade days. I know it will inspire me in all kinds of directions. Meanwhile, while I am trying to get my groove back........I have been making a lot of little short term projects in the paper department. I made this little posey pin from faux vintage post/letters etc papers from the scrapbooking department. I actually wore it yesterday on my jacket. Then I spotted this book on Fabric Flowers by Elizabeth Helene Searle at the fabric store and I had to get it. I used her instructions to make this first fabric flower. I want to try several of her other flowers instructions. Now, what will I do with them? Who knows? Does it really matter if I am enjoying myself? Probably everyone will get fabric or paper flowers for Christmas! Heehee Have a great day.

VILLAGE CLAY WORKS Another Artist Interview

I ran across this wonderful and whimsical artist several weeks ago when her work was featured on Etsy. I have enjoyed looking at her work and I know you will too. Meet Catherine Reece from Northern California. She is a creative woman who has been working in clay for over thirteen years. She was kind enough to let me interview her for this blog. Please enjoy. Tell us about who you are, what do you want to say as a statement about you? My name is Catherine Reece and I live in Dublin, California (just east of Oakland). I am married and a mother of two kids. I have been professionally selling my pottery for 8 years. I was waiting for my husband to graduate from design school and find a job while i worked and played with clay. Over a few years I began to build a small business selling my pottery. MY husband didn't find the job of his dreams and so he joined my in the studio as my partner. Now we make our living as artists selling pottery.I think I am still trying to figure that out. ...

Vintage Findings

My Garage Sale Adventures Yesterday I love Garage Sales. It has become a bit of a habit for me to go to them on Saturday mornings. Do I need anything? NO. Do I know what I am looking for? NO. Do I care? NO! It's the thrill of the hunt! I have to tell you about my findings from yesterdays garage sale adventure. Check out this photo and I will tell you all about it. First, I found the Blue Willow bowl for a quarter. I can't find any cracks or chips. I have always loved blue willow and the story that goes with it. Then, I found the baggy full of vintage jewelry pieces for 50 cents. I went to another garage sale and found the two vintage sewing machines, the little typewriter, and the rotary phone for 12.00! For all of it. The poor sewing machines were covered in dirt, it looks like the owners had left them outside. Poor things. I feel like I rescued them. Isn't that silly? I cleaned them up and posed them for this pic. One will definitely be incorporated into the...